If you think that creating a Hotmail account is a difficult task, then you will find in this article how simple and easy it is when you start doing it. You will only need a few minutes of your time to create a unique Hotmail account in your name and to start using this free web based email service from Microsoft. In fact, with just a single Microsoft Hotmail account, you will now be able to access all web based services like instant messaging, Xbox Live, OneDrive, Bing, etc., across devices like PCs, Macs, iPads, Android tablets and Smartphones and iPhones.
The following is a step by step guide on how to easily create a Hotmail account.
- Visit the Hotmail home page or click on this link www.Hotmail.com. You will find a sign in or sign up option on the landing page. If you already have a Hotmail username and password, then you need to just click on the sign in option and enter the details asked for. If you do not have an account, then just click on the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- You will be directed to the ‘create an account’ page. You will find a lot of fields on the page that you need to fill up correctly in order to get your Hotmail account created. You will be asked to enter a few personal details, security information as well as the email address that you would like to use in the account creation page.
- The first blank space you will see is for your first and last name. Enter them correctly in the spaces provided.
- The next type box will be asking you to key in your Hotmail username. You have the liberty to key in any username that you like. If the username you need is already taken up, there will be a prompt to try out another username.
- You will find another box next to the username field. You will have to opt for @Hotmail.com option if you want your username to read as example@Hotmail.com.
- Once the username is entered, the next field you find will be the password option. You should create a strong password at least 8 characters long. Mae sure you include lowercase and uppercase alphabets and a number in your password to make it very strong.
- You need to key in your phone number and an alternate email address in the spaces provided to make your Hotmail account secure. This is done to help you out in case you lose your password and cannot access your Hotmail account.
- Apart from this, you will also be asked to choose a security question from the options given and you must key in an answer that is at least having 5 characters length.
- The next fields are your country or region, the zip code, your birth date, month and year and gender.
- After filling all these fields, you will be asked to key in a captcha code provided at the fag end of the sign up page in the box provided for the same. This is to ensure that you are a human and not a robot signing up for an account.
- Once done, click on the create account option to complete the sign up process.
To login Hotmail email account, you need to visit the Hotmail page and enter the username and password and then click on sign in option to access your Hotmail account.
Steps to activate two-step verification process
Despite having a secure password to access your Hotmail account, it is advisable that you take advantage of the two-step verification feature for added security. This extra layer of security also explained here will ensure that no one can access your email account that easily. This feature will require another security code that is sent to your mobile phone to provide access to your Hotmail account, apart from your username and password.
- You will have to get access to the security settings of your Hotmail account in order to activate the two step verification feature for your account. For this, you will need to first sign in to your Hotmail account.
- In the top right corner of the page, you will find your name. You need to click on it and then click on the Account settings option.
- You will find the ‘set up 2-step verification’ link, click on the Next option to start setting it up.
- Choose the ‘A phone number’ option from the drop down list that you see under the “verify my identity with” option.
- In the next box, type in your phone number and then choose an option between text and call to get the verification code from Microsoft. Once done, click on Next option.
- You will receive a code from Microsoft on your phone either through text message or through a call on your registered mobile number.
- Key in the received code in the box under ‘enter the code’ option, then click next and finally Finish option to activate the two step verification feature for your Hotmail account.
Every time you sign into your Hotmail account, you will receive the verification code on your mobile phone. You should enter it in the appropriate box to get access to your emails. If you are the only person using your PC or Mac or tablet to access your Hotmail account, then you can opt for the ‘I sign in frequently on this device. Don’t ask me for a code’ option to access your account without a verification code. But, once you use a different device to access Hotmail, you will need to enter the verification code that Microsoft sends to get access to your emails.
Hotmail sign in help
Hotmail allows its users to enjoy different free services after creating a Hotmail account. Though Hotmail is making regular upgrades of the features offered by them, sometimes the users may experience some Continue reading