Ads by Google
Hotmail was developed in 1996 and later acquired by Microsoft in 1997. Ever since, the email service provider has enjoyed great control without much competition. They, however, lost their popularity when other email service providers were introduced particularly Gmail. Microsoft soon introduced other features to keep up with the competition. They later changed the name from Hotmail to Outlook to symbolize the change.
Creating an account
Due to the change, the website of the service provider changed to Live.com. Once you open this website, you will be directed to the Outlook home page. Even though they changed the website, people who have accounts with Hotmail can still access their account with their old details. You can easily create an account with Outlook in simple steps.
- Open the website mentioned above.
- Once the home page opens, click on ‘sign up now’. The sign up page will open. Before you can proceed to create an account, you need to know that if you already have an address that you use to access Windows PC, OneDrive or other Microsoft powered account, you don’t need to create another account. You can use the already existing account. Enter your first and last names. These are the names that will be visible to other people on Microsoft services. Choose your username; this will double up as your email address. You can choose either Hotmail.com or Outlook.com.
- Choose your password. Ensure that the password is at least 8 characters long. Confirm your password.
- Choose your country of origin. Enter your birth date and specify your gender.
- You will be required to enter your phone number. This is the number that will be used to verify your account and also password reset. You will be required to enter an alternative email address. This is the email that will be used to reset your password or to recover your username. Before proceeding with the account creation, you will have to enter the character that will be given. Check the ‘send me promotional materials’ that is if you are interested.
- Click on ‘create an account; by creating an account, you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions of Microsoft.
Once you create an account, you will be required to verify your account. You will be Continue reading
Ads by Google
Today much work has been done on the login security process. As a result, the two step verification process has been introduced. This is an extra layer of security added to the usual login process. The two step verification process requires the users to key in a registered phone number as well as an alternate email address. There are ways of implementing the two step verification process even if one has an existing Hotmail account. The existing users of Hotmail can log onto their account and go their account settings.
Here they can check in the box to activate the two step verification process. However, many users complain that the added step of getting a security code on their phone or at an alternate email address and keying that in usually takes longer. This process if repeated every time one needs to sign into their account, will make it an arduous process to log into the account every time.
For these reasons the single code sign in Hotmail process has been initiated by Microsoft. This is a unique way of securing access to your email by bypassing the keying in of a password. Most hacking activities occur as passwords are easily configured. As a result, this sign code login process has been initiated to allow this process is unique and allows one to forget their password even. The single code login process is done in the following way:
- One needs to check on the option to use the single code option for logging in.
- As the verification code is sent to the phone number registered in one’s email account, one needs to edit the same if a phone number is not saved already in the account settings.
- If the phone number needs to be added, one needs to go to security settings in their email account.
- Once the phone number is registered, one can use the single code login option.
- It is to be noted that the single code login option is not available for all locations. One needs to check the list of locations before one avails of this option.
Once this option is activated, the hotmail login is one’s account becomes easy but more secure. One does not need to key in their password. They will be sent a unique code to their phone every time. This code needs to be entered and then only the login is completed. In this way one can bypass the password remembering process. It is a secure way as only your registered phone will receive the verification code.
Today, if you sign into your Hotmail.com you will probably realize that the domain has changed. Today, when existing Hotmail users type in hotmail.com they are redirected to outxlook.com domain. This is the domain which has been integrated with Hotmail and all existing Hotmail accounts are part of the Outlook domain. As a result, the new users of Outlook as well as the existing users of Hotmail usually login through a single window.
Ads by Google
If you are seeking a reason to create Hotmail account, there are several. Hotmail.com is a great service that has been around from a long time and is a legendary email domain on which you can rely upon. Today, MSN has brought about several changes which has augmented the benefits that Hotmail email users can reap. Not only will you have access to an email account, you will be able to use Xbox Live, the instant messenger service and other new Live services introduced by Microsoft. Today, all such services have been integrated under one comprehensive Window Live ID. The SkyDrive which has been created for MSN users allows you to access your inbox as well as the files that are in your PC, smartphones and other connected devices.
When you wish to create a Hotmail account, follow the steps below:
- Visit the official domain of Hotmail, www.hotmail.com
- Here you get the option to sign in or to sign up. Today you will get a single MSN ID when you sign up for a Hotmail account.
- The sign up page needs to be filled in. There are standard security and personal details to be filled in to complete the sign up process.
- The easy part of the sign in process comprises of entering details like gender, birthday and name.
The tough part is to choose a username. As Hotmail already has a large subscriber base, you might have trouble finding the username of your choice. You need to choose the hotmail.com as the email you want as today you have numerous options.
The other vital part of the sign up Hotmail process is filling in the contact information. Before it used to be optional but with the increase in email hacking activities, the email service providers are asking you to provide your contact number and Continue reading