Hotmail was developed in 1996 and later acquired by Microsoft in 1997. Ever since, the email service provider has enjoyed great control without much competition. They, however, lost their popularity when other email service providers were introduced particularly Gmail. Microsoft soon introduced other features to keep up with the competition. They later changed the name from Hotmail to Outlook to symbolize the change.
Creating an account
Due to the change, the website of the service provider changed to Live.com. Once you open this website, you will be directed to the Outlook home page. Even though they changed the website, people who have accounts with Hotmail can still access their account with their old details. You can easily create an account with Outlook in simple steps.
- Open the website mentioned above.
- Once the home page opens, click on ‘sign up now’. The sign up page will open. Before you can proceed to create an account, you need to know that if you already have an address that you use to access Windows PC, OneDrive or other Microsoft powered account, you don’t need to create another account. You can use the already existing account. Enter your first and last names. These are the names that will be visible to other people on Microsoft services. Choose your username; this will double up as your email address. You can choose either Hotmail.com or Outlook.com.
- Choose your password. Ensure that the password is at least 8 characters long. Confirm your password.
- Choose your country of origin. Enter your birth date and specify your gender.
- You will be required to enter your phone number. This is the number that will be used to verify your account and also password reset. You will be required to enter an alternative email address. This is the email that will be used to reset your password or to recover your username. Before proceeding with the account creation, you will have to enter the character that will be given. Check the ‘send me promotional materials’ that is if you are interested.
- Click on ‘create an account; by creating an account, you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions of Microsoft.
Once you create an account, you will be required to verify your account. You will be prompted to verify your account very time you try to send email using Outlook for the first time.
- Open Outlook.com
- Log in to your account.
- You will receive a link.
- Click on that link and you will be required to enter the characters that are given.
- You may be required to verify your account again just to keep the account secure.
By creating an account, you will be able to access features like inbox customizing. Yes, you will be able to personalize your inbox. You will also be able to access your Skype without logging in to the Skype network. Online document editing is also another feature that you will get to enjoy.