Hotmail was developed in 1996 and later acquired by Microsoft in 1997. Ever since, the email service provider has enjoyed great control without much competition. They, however, lost their popularity when other email service providers were introduced particularly Gmail. Microsoft soon introduced other features to keep up with the competition. They later changed the name from Hotmail to Outlook to symbolize the change.
Creating an account
Due to the change, the website of the service provider changed to Live.com. Once you open this website, you will be directed to the Outlook home page. Even though they changed the website, people who have accounts with Hotmail can still access their account with their old details. You can easily create an account with Outlook in simple steps.
- Open the website mentioned above.
- Once the home page opens, click on ‘sign up now’. The sign up page will open. Before you can proceed to create an account, you need to know that if you already have an address that you use to access Windows PC, OneDrive or other Microsoft powered account, you don’t need to create another account. You can use the already existing account. Enter your first and last names. These are the names that will be visible to other people on Microsoft services. Choose your username; this will double up as your email address. You can choose either Hotmail.com or Outlook.com.
- Choose your password. Ensure that the password is at least 8 characters long. Confirm your password.
- Choose your country of origin. Enter your birth date and specify your gender.
- You will be required to enter your phone number. This is the number that will be used to verify your account and also password reset. You will be required to enter an alternative email address. This is the email that will be used to reset your password or to recover your username. Before proceeding with the account creation, you will have to enter the character that will be given. Check the ‘send me promotional materials’ that is if you are interested.
- Click on ‘create an account; by creating an account, you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions of Microsoft.
Once you create an account, you will be required to verify your account. You will be Continue reading
If you think that creating a Hotmail account is a difficult task, then you will find in this article how simple and easy it is when you start doing it. You will only need a few minutes of your time to create a unique Hotmail account in your name and to start using this free web based email service from Microsoft. In fact, with just a single Microsoft Hotmail account, you will now be able to access all web based services like instant messaging, Xbox Live, OneDrive, Bing, etc., across devices like PCs, Macs, iPads, Android tablets and Smartphones and iPhones.
The following is a step by step guide on how to easily create a Hotmail account.
- Visit the Hotmail home page or click on this link www.Hotmail.com. You will find a sign in or sign up option on the landing page. If you already have a Hotmail username and password, then you need to just click on the sign in option and enter the details asked for. If you do not have an account, then just click on the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- You will be directed to the ‘create an account’ page. You will find a lot of fields on the page that you need to fill up correctly in order to get your Hotmail account created. You will be asked to enter a few personal details, security information as well as the email address that you would like to use in the account creation page.
- The first blank space you will see is for your first and last name. Enter them correctly in the spaces provided.
- The next type box will be asking you to key in your Hotmail username. You have the liberty to key in any username that you like. If the username you need is already taken up, there will be a prompt to try out another username.
- You will find another box next to the username field. You will have to opt for @Hotmail.com option if you want your username to read as example@Hotmail.com.
- Once the username is entered, the next field you find will be the password option. You should create a strong password at least 8 characters long. Mae sure you include lowercase and uppercase alphabets and a number in your password to make it very strong.
- You need to key in your phone number and an alternate email address in the spaces provided to make your Hotmail account secure. This is done to help you out in case you lose your password and cannot access your Hotmail account.
- Apart from this, you will also be asked to choose a security question from the options given and you must key in an answer that is at least having 5 characters length.
- The next fields are your country or region, the zip code, your birth date, month and year and gender.
- After filling all these fields, you will be asked to key in a captcha code provided at the fag end of the sign up page in the box provided for the same. This is to ensure that you are a human and not a robot signing up for an account.
- Once done, click on the create account option to complete the sign up process.
To login Hotmail email account, you need to visit the Hotmail page and enter the username and password and then click on sign in option to access your Hotmail account.
Steps to activate two-step verification process
Despite having a secure password to access your Hotmail account, it is advisable that you take advantage of the two-step verification feature for added security. This extra layer of security also explained here will ensure that no one can access your email account that easily. This feature will require another security code that is sent to your mobile phone to provide access to your Hotmail account, apart from your username and password.
- You will have to get access to the security settings of your Hotmail account in order to activate the two step verification feature for your account. For this, you will need to first sign in to your Hotmail account.
- In the top right corner of the page, you will find your name. You need to click on it and then click on the Account settings option.
- You will find the ‘set up 2-step verification’ link, click on the Next option to start setting it up.
- Choose the ‘A phone number’ option from the drop down list that you see under the “verify my identity with” option.
- In the next box, type in your phone number and then choose an option between text and call to get the verification code from Microsoft. Once done, click on Next option.
- You will receive a code from Microsoft on your phone either through text message or through a call on your registered mobile number.
- Key in the received code in the box under ‘enter the code’ option, then click next and finally Finish option to activate the two step verification feature for your Hotmail account.
Every time you sign into your Hotmail account, you will receive the verification code on your mobile phone. You should enter it in the appropriate box to get access to your emails. If you are the only person using your PC or Mac or tablet to access your Hotmail account, then you can opt for the ‘I sign in frequently on this device. Don’t ask me for a code’ option to access your account without a verification code. But, once you use a different device to access Hotmail, you will need to enter the verification code that Microsoft sends to get access to your emails.
Hotmail sign in help
Hotmail allows its users to enjoy different free services after creating a Hotmail account. Though Hotmail is making regular upgrades of the features offered by them, sometimes the users may experience some Continue reading
Today much work has been done on the login security process. As a result, the two step verification process has been introduced. This is an extra layer of security added to the usual login process. The two step verification process requires the users to key in a registered phone number as well as an alternate email address. There are ways of implementing the two step verification process even if one has an existing Hotmail account. The existing users of Hotmail can log onto their account and go their account settings.
Here they can check in the box to activate the two step verification process. However, many users complain that the added step of getting a security code on their phone or at an alternate email address and keying that in usually takes longer. This process if repeated every time one needs to sign into their account, will make it an arduous process to log into the account every time.
For these reasons the single code sign in Hotmail process has been initiated by Microsoft. This is a unique way of securing access to your email by bypassing the keying in of a password. Most hacking activities occur as passwords are easily configured. As a result, this sign code login process has been initiated to allow this process is unique and allows one to forget their password even. The single code login process is done in the following way:
- One needs to check on the option to use the single code option for logging in.
- As the verification code is sent to the phone number registered in one’s email account, one needs to edit the same if a phone number is not saved already in the account settings.
- If the phone number needs to be added, one needs to go to security settings in their email account.
- Once the phone number is registered, one can use the single code login option.
- It is to be noted that the single code login option is not available for all locations. One needs to check the list of locations before one avails of this option.
Once this option is activated, the hotmail login is one’s account becomes easy but more secure. One does not need to key in their password. They will be sent a unique code to their phone every time. This code needs to be entered and then only the login is completed. In this way one can bypass the password remembering process. It is a secure way as only your registered phone will receive the verification code.
Today, if you sign into your Hotmail.com you will probably realize that the domain has changed. Today, when existing Hotmail users type in hotmail.com they are redirected to outxlook.com domain. This is the domain which has been integrated with Hotmail and all existing Hotmail accounts are part of the Outlook domain. As a result, the new users of Outlook as well as the existing users of Hotmail usually login through a single window.
With MSN having moved Outlook and upgraded it to a web based email service, there are hardly any differences between Hotmail.com and outlook.com. Indeed, many are afraid that the Hotmail.com domain will no longer exist as you are being automatically redirected to Outlook.com. Changes unsettle people. They are used to a certain inbox, sign in page and then suddenly, everything is changed. They wonder whether their login process still remains the same, whether the emails are the same or has any changes occurred. Those who have existing Hotmail accounts are old email users who might be hesitant to accept new changes. Even though there has been changes introduced in the page layout and interface, the basics such as login details and emails remain the same as before.
There have been new features added as an enhanced security layer in case you forget your password. Hotmail had been criticized for its lack of security measures which allows many of its accounts to be hacked in several instances. For such reason, MSN has added on new layers of security measures and made the interface more intuitive, in keeping with the times and changing requirements of customers.
It is gratifying to note that MSN has not made any changes in the base level to Hotmail accounts. Though they have been moved under the outlook.com domain, you will find everything else the same, except the login page and the new interface. Once you get used to the new setting and layout, you will not find any problem locating your emails and organizing them as you used to. If you are till hesitant about how to login to Hotmail account, here is a lowdown given on the basics to clear any confusion you may have. Continue reading
Whether you have a Hotmail account or an MSN account, part of the vamped up security features of MSN is the two step verification process that has been introduced in all of MSN email services. Hotmail being a part of the MSN offerings, this is a verification process that Hotmail users need to abide by as well. This will surely make life more difficult as it involves the following:
- You would need to key in your password as you do when you sign into your Hotmail account.
- You would need to provide a phone number as well as an alternate email address for the second setup verification to be done.
- When you opt for the two step verification process, you will need to key in your password as well as type in the code that is sent to your phone as the second step verification process. It might also be sent to your alternate email address.
Many users are grumbling that it would make signing in more time consuming than before. However this 2-step verification will not be done all the time. You can still save time by keeping your password saved or checking the option to stay logged in at a specific computer system.
The two step verification feature is apt for the enhanced security measures that Microsoft has adopted, soon after Gmail took up such a feature for its users. This security aspect is also needed as the same ID is now being used by users to log onto main services in Windows phone, Xbox Live, SkyDrive, instant messenger and other services. Even though it is a bit tedious to have to verify the code as well as type in the password, it will help to keep your accounts secure and prevent hackers from trying to access your account.
Many Hotmail users are wondering whether they should enable the two step verification process in their Hotmail account. This should be done as your credentials provide more facilities today and hence are more useful to hackers. If they are able to use malware to catch your username and password, they will not be able to key in the code as they will not know the alternate email address or your phone number in most probability.
If you wish to enable the 2-step verification process in your Hotmail account, you need to do the following: Continue reading