Today there are lots of comparisons that are being done between Hotmail and Outlook. As Outlook has been removed from being a mere email program inside Windows operating system and introduced as a web based email service with its own mail servers, there are several confusions that are arising between Hotmail and Outlook with comparisons between the two email services. Hotmail users are even more confused as they are being redirected to Outlook domain when they want to log into their Hotmail account. Here is a lowdown on what is Outlook and Hotmail and how to differentiate the two:
- When you wish to log onto Hotmail clicking here you might be redirected to Outlook domain.
- You can still use your Hotmail credentials in logging into your Hotmail account on this page.
- All MSN services are now being brought under an integrated platform. Whether you own a Hotmail ID or an Outlook id, you will gain access to all MSN services with the ID you own.
- Hotmail is a separate email service provider whose domain and mail servers are owned by MSN and it is running Hotmail parallel to Outlook with the view of integrating both onto a single platform in the near future.
- You do not own an Outlook ID even if you sign in at the Outlook domain using your Hotmail account. If you upgrade to Outlook, your mail folders will be migrated and nothing will be lost but you will be using the new interface and the features of outlook.
- If you sign up for an Outlook ID, you will still retain your Hotmail ID and both will represent separate email accounts.
Many people find the option in their Hotmail account to upgrade to Outlook. That will not lead to any loss of email data as all your folders, messages and other data will be migrated to the outlook platform. While this has happened for the Hotmail account users automatically when they were moved to Outlook domain, by choosing to upgrade to Outlook, they become users of Outlook email service and their Hotmail mail ID simply remains unless you wish to change that as well.
- Outlook is a new email service, far removed from the Windows based email program that many are familiar with. This is a versatile, free web based email service offered by Microsoft and it offers several features and tools. Hotmail on the other hand, is a long lasting email service that has a long subscriber list. It is one of the stand alone web based email services that was first to offer its free usage to people.
- Outlook is a service that is run parallely along Hotmail by the users.
- Hotmail users are free to upgrade to Outlook and their data and email usage will remain the same.
Overall, Hotmail is being slowly integrated to the Outlook platform. Soon, there will be a single user ID that will represent your credentials for logging in and making use of the different MSN services.